Friday, April 12, 2013

London Adventures


Its been a few days since we arrived back from our journey of a lifetime and I still feel exhausted from everything that we fit in this past weekend. We left for London on Friday, Dublin on Sunday and came back to Nice Tuesday! Since we did so much (and had a few not-so-great travel experiences), I’m going to be splitting the posts into three: London, Getting to Dublin, and Dublin!

So like I said, Amanda, my roommate, and I left for London on Friday. We had been trying to figure out a way to get to Dublin but it was so expensive to fly there from Nice, but luckily my friend Shannon studied in Dublin last semester and was able to give us a LOT of help! She suggested we try flying through London, but since I had never been to England before, I didn’t want to just fly through, so we spent two nights in a hostel in London.

Amanda and I were so excited to get to England and Ireland that we were basically pacing around all day. Like I said, they were both places we really wanted to see and we were anxious to get going!

We left Nice about 3:15 and were settled in our hostel a few hours later! One of my friends studying abroad had traveled to London and gave us a lot of tips and recommended St. Christopher’s Hostel. It was really great and definitely a fun and different experience. Amanda and I stayed in a room with 6 other girls and shared a bathroom with the rest of the rooms on our floor. It felt a little “5-man” ish but with random people from all over the world.

We dropped our stuff off and then went on a search for CHIPOTLE! Since its so big at home and the only city that really has it is London, we knew that had to be out first stop. And it was as amazing as you’d expect.



The Chipotle was right near Picadilly Square which is like a smaller NY Times Square. We walked around and were amazed by everything- they actually drive bright red double decker buses? Their cabs still look like that? We got a coffee at a really delicious small shop then grabbed a drink at the hostel bar. We called it quits early because we only really had one day in London, so we needed to take full advantage of it.



The next morning we got breakfast and found out about a free walking tour that started at 11, so we had the chance to run over to the Tower Bridge in the day time since we had seen it in the dark the night before, then stopped in the Bourough Street Market (I just love seeing
all the markets here. It has to be my favorite thing to do in Europe). Then we headed out with our tour group (where I ended up speaking French. Are you kidding!? Do you know how excited I was to speak ENGLISH this trip, and of course one of the tour guides was born in Paris. Classic).



Our tour guide was your typical British man with a think accent, very vulgar and spit a lot. It was definitely fun and we saw a lot of the main sites in the short amount of time we had, but I don’t know if I would recommend the walking tour (maybe a bus tour- the walking tour didn’t stop so I have a lack of pictures of some of the cool sites. I don’t even have a picture of me in front of Buckingham Palace! Sigh). Anyways, we saw Green Park, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben (with a lot of other random small stops in between).


We didn’t finish up until early afternoon and our whole tour group went to a pub to get some food! Amanda and I got fish and chips, which was actually delicious, and finished it off with an apple pie covered in warm custard. YUM!



We walked back to Big Ben so we could actually see it, since we didn’t really with the tour group, and took some touristy pictures in phone booths. We hung around there for a while because it was so beautiful and busy. Oh, and we had PHENOMINAL weather! Yes, that’s right, we had fantastic weather in one of the rainiest placed in the world. Blue skies, sunny, and I was comfortable in just a sweater and light jacket. So we strolled around for a while then headed back to the hostel to freshen up before our Pub Crawl that night!



We could only stay a few hours at the pubs because we had to get to the airport extremely early the next day, we wanted to take the Underground back which stops running at night and the “pubs” were actually clubs and we were completely underdressed. We had a blast though and met people from all over the world.

We really had hardly any time in London at all so it was awesome to see all of the big sites, but there’s so much more that London has to offer that we’d need weeks to see. It was so amazing being able to take a break from worrying about communicating and just be able to enjoy our time. I always thought London would be too much like the U.S. for me and I wouldn’t like that, but I LOVED IT. It was so nice to feel a little closer to home and its some place I would love to go back and visit.

My next post will be all about our interesting voyage from London to Dublin, so stay tuned!!

Cheerio!
A

P.S. If you missed my video, here's a compilation from my trips!




No comments:

Post a Comment