Sunday, February 3, 2013

One Week Later


So, we’re on day eight already. I’ve finally taken the time (because I finally had a free moment) to unpack my clothes and go grocery shopping for something other than baguettes. And now I’m actually living in this awesome place and not just visiting.

Speaking of baguettes… I’ve eaten so much bread this past week, I can feel myself turning into a baguette. Because of our 9-4 prep class this week and enjoying things like watching the sunset on the beach with a bottle of wine, we’ve had virtually no time to grocery shop. We’ve picked up some bananas here, a little bit of pasta there and other small things, but we really haven’t had the time to go actually go out (especially since stores close at like sundown and I have literally no sense of time here).

So yeah, I’m turning into a baguette. They’re 80 cents for one almost as long as my arm, obviously delicious and easy to grab on the go. One day, all I ate the entire day was a banana with peanut butter (shout out to Alanna in Barcelona for ordering me to bring peanut butter here. Thank you a million times over.) and a baguette. C’est tout.




But other than my lack of protein, things are going great. We were able to check out a cool American bar with license plates on the walls (sound familiar College Park friends?) and a live band that sings American music with a thick French accent. And they had WiFi, which has been a continuous apartment struggle. We also went to High Club on Friday and had the time of our lives, in spite of the 20 euro cover charge and feet that still hurt from those heels.

On Thursday we had a mixer at school with our Maryland-in-Nice program and some French students studying at the university trying to learn English. We made a Parisian friend and all went to the beach to watch the sunset.

We also went to this absolutely amazing Crêperie. I got one with ham, egg and cheese and another with Nutella and coconut. My mouth is watering just thinking about it; it was one of the most delicous things I’ve ever had and its just a block away. We’re really starting to find the good places, which makes me SO excited for visitors so I can drag them to each and every delicious place with me.

So I promised some pictures of my apartment when I got the chance to unpack. Don’t be turned off by the pictures. It’s much homier and nicer in person than these pictures show, and it’s actually starting to feel like home. Yesterday I took a nice nap on our futon and the sun was kind of peaking through these awesome windows we have (which, by the way, I cannot wait to open when it starts getting nicer) and it was so perfect. I made dinner on our teeny-tiny stovetop and I’m really getting used to this whole living-in-France thing.










I said last night that if we were on vacation, we would be leaving already. But we’re not visitors, we’re Niçois. And I’m pretty dang excited about it.

Avec tout mon amour,
A

(Je semble plus confortable que la dernière fois j’ai écrit. La ville est magnifique. Je ne peux pas croire la vue sur la plage et dans notre rue. Je ne peux pas attendre à voir ce qui se passe à côté ! Merci d’avoir lu !)

1 comment:

  1. banana with honey and cinnamon if you run out of pb!! love you miss you

    ReplyDelete